I’m finally doing big girl work at a company so I was able to upgrade everything, and will soon upgrade the iMac.
Let’s start with my gear.
- Mac mini - Apple
- My old iMac’s hard disk, a Fusion Drive, was failing because APFS isn’t good on spinning drives. The CPU constantly ran high and I couldn’t get my work done. I got my old MacBook Pro back from a friend, a 2013 13” but that was much slower than the Fusion Drive 2015 iMac. This thing is a dream compared to those two machines.
- MacBook Pro 13” Late 2013
- Used for quickie code/blog edits and admin stuff. Too slow for anything else.
- iPhone XS Max 256gb, Gold 1
- iPad Pro 12.9” late 2018 256 gb
- This thing is a beast. Fast, and the industrial design is my favorite of Apple’s iPads to date.
- Brydge Keyboard for 2018 iPad Pro
- Decent but fragile as hell.
- Apple Pencil
- Still trying to figure out a use for it. I use it for editing videos and podcasts currently.
- WASD Custom Keys Mechanical Keyboard, Mac layout, MX Cherry Blue
- Got my “brand” colors. Next is a Keychron, RGB backlighting…Down the rabbit hole I go…
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK SonicPro Over-Ear High Res Headphones
- These things sound amazing. Seriously good upgrade over my previous Audio-Technica cans, the M50s.
- beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm Headphones, Gray
- My daily drivers. All-around comfort and great sound.
- Steelcase Leap Chair
- I bought this chair open box from Madison Seating because…well…check out the retail price…
- Heil PR 40 mic kit
- I’ve got a rig setup where I will use this more often than I had.
- AirPods Pro
- IKEA LINNMON/ALEX Desk
- Every programmer needs a good desk. This one is relatively inexpensive.
- Tabletop Bulb Base
- Cute lamp that sits on my KALLAX bookshelf with a LIFX bulb in it.
- HomePods, White
- Sold my Edifier speakers reluctantly as I really had no place and no use for them 😥. UPDATE: I bought another HomePod because of Best Buy’s ridiculous sale for $199 to make a stereo pair and damn. I can only turn the volume up to about 3 because it is so loud and just…awesome.
- KALLAX Shelf unit - black, white - IKEA
- LG 4K Monitor
- Three monitors are better than one.
- North Bayou VESA Mount
- Logitech MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless Mouse - Mid Grey
- The best mouse I have ever used is an understatement. Better than the original in every way.
- M-Audio M-Track C-Series USB Audio Interface
- This will drive a lot of audio…as well as record from an XLR mic which I have. Said I was cooking things up.
- Material Dock by Studio Neat
- This is the Qi, Lightining, and Apple Watch one. Looks really nice.
- FORSÅ Work Lamp from IKEA
- Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen
- LIFX Z Wi-Fi Smart LED Strip Starter Kit
- Yeah. I am on the bandwagon. I am a programmer and I want my desk to feel like a rocket ship. Sue me.
- LIFX A19 Wi-fi Smart LED Bulbs
- Anchor Pro by ElevationLab
- Great under the desk, hide your cables, headphone rack.
- IKEA Holmo 46” Floor Lamps
- Where else am I going to put the LIFX Bulbs?
- Logitech C920S Pro HD Webcam with Privacy Shutter
- As I do more webinars, Egghead videos, and yes, soon, streaming, I need a good webcam. I have a Streaming Amazon List that I’ll be adding to my arsenal in the next couple months.
- Asus 28” 4K UHD LED LCD Monitor
- Getting rid of the low res monitor.
- EVEO Premium Monitor Arm Desk Mount
- For the new monitor.
- VS Code
- It does everything I need it to do. Atom was nice and had a lot of features but goddamn it’s hella slow. So I went back to VS Code 2 and couldn’t be happier.
- Oh My Zsh
- I will never use a terminal without this installed.
- Boom 3D
- This makes everything sound amazing.
- Using PopClip is a lifesaver. When it doesn’t work I am lost.
- Workflows make this my favorite app. I can’t live without it. You can find my workflows here. I have way too many, I admit.
- Text Expander
- Adobe CC, All Apps
- Dipping my toe into YouTube, and hopefully having a co-host for the Good First Issue Podcast means I need a pro suite of tools.
- BetterSnapTool is my choice for window snapping.
- Things 3 for tasks.3
- Notion for Project management.4
- Nothing beats it for note-taking and archiving.
- Fantastical 2 for scheduling
- Dash 4. 5
- Sip for Mac for a color picker
- As I get into making egghead lessons and more screencasts for tiffany.blog, I need a heavy duty piece of software to do so. Screenflow fits the bill.
- StreamLabs OBS Software for Mac
- Best OBS client on the Mac.
- This is how I share bugs and other things with devs and dev teams. Also an easy way to make a gif of a feature or bug on my Mac.
- It finally has enough utilities to make it worth the subscription price for me.
I Use a lot of software, I admit
But I use ALL OF IT.
So this is my setup and what I am currently using. You can show me your dev setup on Twitter.
Got the gold and this will be my last iPhone for a while. No need to upgrade yearly as these phones are more than capable of lasting a couple years. ↩
I did have Ulysses installed. They even featured me on their blog. I mainly used it to post to WordPress and since I am on Gatsby and Jekyll for everything now I don’t need the subscription. I feel really bad. But now I use VSCode for this and a couple scripts to post here and my other blogs. ↩
This is the only task manager that I actually look at and use. It is that beautiful, simple, and it has impressed me far more than any task manager in recent memory. ↩
This is such a deep app and I am in love with it. After avoiding it because I was a heavy user of Evernote and quite liked it, there were things that annoyed me about it. Everyone talked about this app, Notion and I signed up. Been using it for two weeks and I have paid the subscription. It’s that good. Still setting it up but here’s my dashboard. ↩
Offline docs ftw! Plus much more. ↩