I’m finally doing big girl work at a company so I was able to upgrade everything, and will soon upgrade the iMac.
Let’s start with my gear.
- M1 Mac mini, 1TB storage, 16 GB RAM - Apple
- My old iMac’s hard disk, a Fusion Drive, was failing because APFS isn’t good on spinning drives. The CPU constantly ran high and I couldn’t get my work done. I got my old MacBook Pro back from a friend, a 2013 13” but that was much slower than the Fusion Drive 2015 iMac. This thing is a dream compared to those two machines.
- MacBook Pro 13” Late 2013
- Used for quickie code/blog edits and admin stuff. Too slow for anything else.
- iPhone 12 Pro 256gb, Silver
- iPad Pro 12.9” late 2018 256 gb
- This thing is a beast. Fast, and the industrial design is my favorite of Apple’s iPads to date.
- Apple Pencil
- Still trying to figure out a use for it. I use it for editing videos and podcasts currently.
- Keychron K2 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
- Wanted something a bit smaller and darker as the WASD really showed the grime. The backlighting is a plus. I also use it wired.
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK SonicPro Over-Ear High Res Headphones
- These things sound amazing. Seriously good upgrade over my previous Audio-Technica cans, the M50s.
- beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm Headphones, Gray
- My daily drivers. All-around comfort and great sound.
- Drop + HIFIMAN HE4XX Planar Magnetic Headphones
- New daily drivers.
- Steelcase Leap Chair
- I bought this chair open box from Madison Seating because…well…check out the retail price…
- Heil PR 40 mic kit
- I’ve got a rig setup where I will use this more often than I had.
- AirPods Pro
- AirPods Max
- IKEA LINNMON/ALEX Desk
- Every programmer needs a good desk. This one is relatively inexpensive.
- Tabletop Bulb Base
- Cute lamp that sits on my KALLAX bookshelf with a LIFX bulb in it.
- HomePods, White
- Sold my Edifier speakers reluctantly as I really had no place and no use for them 😥. UPDATE: I bought another HomePod because of Best Buy’s ridiculous sale for $199 to make a stereo pair and damn. I can only turn the volume up to about 3 because it is so loud and just…awesome.
- KALLAX Shelf unit - black, white - IKEA
- LG 4K Monitor
- North Bayou VESA Mount
- Logitech MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless Mouse - Mid Grey
- The best mouse I have ever used is an understatement. Better than the original in every way.
- M-Audio M-Track C-Series USB Audio Interface
- This will drive a lot of audio…as well as record from an XLR mic which I have. Said I was cooking things up.
- FORSÅ Work Lamp from IKEA
- Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen
- LIFX Z Wi-Fi Smart LED Strip Starter Kit
- Yeah. I am on the bandwagon. I am a programmer and I want my desk to feel like a rocket ship. Sue me.
- LIFX A19 Wi-fi Smart LED Bulbs
- Anchor Pro by ElevationLab
- Great under the desk, hide your cables, headphone rack.
- IKEA Holmo 46” Floor Lamps
- Where else am I going to put the LIFX Bulbs?
- Logitech C920S Pro HD Webcam with Privacy Shutter
- As I do more webinars, Egghead videos, and yes, soon, streaming, I need a good webcam. I have a Streaming Amazon List that I’ll be adding to my arsenal in the next couple months.
- Asus 28” 4K UHD LED LCD Monitor
- Getting rid of the low res monitor.
- EVEO Premium Monitor Arm Desk Mount
- For the new monitor.
- Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers1
- VS Code
- Nova Editor for macOS
- Yes, I paid $$$ for a text editor. It’s feature rich and native to macOS, which I usually don’t care about. However, you can’t deny the speed increase and easing of stress on your CPU and RAM. Plus, it’s beautiful.
- Oh My Zsh
- I will never use a terminal without this installed.
- Boom 3D
- This makes everything sound amazing.
- Workflows make this my favorite app.I can’t live without it. You can find my workflows here. I have way too many, I admit.
- Text Expander
- Todoist for tasks.2
- Notion for Project management.3
- Fantastical for scheduling. I pay for the premium version.
- Sip for Mac for a color picker
- As I get into making egghead lessons and more screencasts for tiffany.blog, I need a heavy duty piece of software to do so. Screenflow fits the bill.
- StreamLabs OBS Software for Mac
- Best OBS client on the Mac.
- This is how I share bugs and other things with devs and dev teams. Also an easy way to make a gif of a feature or bug on my Mac.
- It finally has enough utilities to make it worth the subscription price for me.
Yeah I am running a home server of sorts, as my fascination with Home Assistant, InfoSec, and networking/network security continues to grow.
Below is a list of the hardware I use for the rack. Click the details button to see the softare I am running on the network for server and IoT purposes.
- CyberPower Smart App LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 8 Outlets, AVR, 2U Rack Tower
- Having battery backup is important. This way if there is a black or brownout, you have enough juice to keep your system running until you can shut it down properly.
- CyberPower CPS1215RMS Surge Protector, 120V/15A, 12 Outlets, 15ft Power Cord, 1U Rackmount Black
- Ran out of outlets in the UPS
- TP-Link 16 Port Gigabit Switch Smart Managed Switch
- I have a couple of these TP-Link Switches, one unmanaged and another smaller managed switch. I want to separate different devices on different networks using a VLAN and other things.
- NavePoint 9U Wall Mount Network Server 19 Inch IT Cabinet Rack Enclosure Glass Door Lock
- This is where I hold all the rack equipment
- Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS920+ Diskless 4-bay; 4GB DDR4
- I love this thing. I have Homebridge running on it, I have Plex serving up stuff on it, and a dev instance of Home Assistant as well as a few Docker containers. Trying to figure out how to deploy a production app in a container4 and am using this to test out a few containers with small node apps in them.
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (8gb)
- I have a production Home Assistant instance running on this.
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+
- I am running Pi-hole and WireGuard on this however I don’t understand most of how Wireguard works so I bought a Swiss VPN with no ties to any government5
Some of the software running on the servers6
Racks on Racks…
I Use a lot of software, I admit
But I use ALL OF IT.
So this is my setup and what I am currently using. You can show me your dev setup on Twitter.
The latency of the HomePods when watching video on my Mac was atrocious. I bought my favorite bookshelf speakers again and couldn’t be happier. Still have the HomePods when I want to have apartment filling sound with AirPlay 2 Sonos Play:5 2nd Gen, Sonos One, and the two black HomePods I use as home theater audio with my Apple TV. It’s a party for sure. 😉 ↩
This is the only task manager that I actually look at and use. It is that beautiful, simple, and it has impressed me far more than any task manager in recent memory. ↩
This is such a deep app and I am in love with it. After avoiding it because I was a heavy user of Evernote and quite liked it, there were things that annoyed me about it. Everyone talked about this app, Notion and I signed up. Been using it for two weeks and I have paid the subscription. It’s that good. Still setting it up but here’s my dashboard. ↩
Though not from my NAS…. ↩
No logs kept either. It’s kinda slow though. Some things don’t work on my network when it is enabled. I think a lot of it has to do with Fios being shit for a lot of folks, including myself, lately. ↩
When grabbing the link for WireGuard I found this repo which is just 🤌🏽 trailofbits/algo Set up a personal VPN in the cloud ↩